We had a busy day today! We began by taking our overnight guests to the pool with us. We also met a family there from church who was hosting guests in their home that are close in age to Carson and Christopher. E didn't get a chance to swim...she ate and then fell asleep. :)
All of the kiddos
For various reasons we were on a tight schedule after our swim time...we needed to eat lunch, get dressed, take M home, etc. when all of a sudden while I was getting dressed I heard lots of screaming and crying coming from Christopher. And if you know Christopher this only happens when he is really hurt! He limped into our bathroom with blood dripping behind him. The entire bottom of his foot was covered in blood. I do NOT do blood. I stepped back, gathered myself and called for Carson. :) She cleaned the blood up off of the wood floors and I assessed the situation. Once Christopher settled down and I realized that Christopher's foot was indeed still attached to his body, I got the story...he had stepped on a nail while he and M were walking around in the second acre. Hmmm...a nail? What kind of nail? Was it rusty? How far did the nail actually go into his foot? While these thoughts were racing through my head I was directed to this: (please excuse the iphone pics)
Umm...yes, that is definitely a rusty nail that had definitely gone through Christopher's flip-flop. That is when Christopher informed me that he had to pull the nail (and flip-flop) out of his foot! AHHH!! No wonder he was bleeding profusely!
We had to quickly forge ahead with our plans for the day, so I loaded some of the kids back up into my car where I quickly (and quietly) called the pediatrician's office. Does Christopher need a tetanus shot? If he does, does he need it today? (Can it wait until after I get to my hair appointment?) ;) CLC and E went with me to my hair appointment...we were waiting for the return phone call from the pediatrician's office and we could swing by for a quick tetanus shot on our way home...
CLC was oh so happy to learn from the nurse who called back that he is up-to-date on his tetanus vaccination. I knew that they lasted for years, but 10 years? That is a long time! CLC received his 3 years ago, so he was in the clear! They just told us to make sure to wash it out well and to watch for infection. Christopher's response to the phone call? "Oh, I have seven more years to step on rusty nails!" Let's hope not. :)




0 comments:
Post a Comment